Here is what Noel shared with us today:
- Our #1 Employment Sector — Education with 6,000 employed, contrary to popular belief that it is still automotive (4,000)
- 2500 Students call downtown Oshawa home — we need more student housing in the core!
- There are over 60 food vendors in downtown Oshawa! We are becoming a foodie district!
- Our academia (not to be confused with macadamia! Stupid pun sorry…) makes up 20,000 full time students spread among 3 universities (UOIT, Trent and Queens) and Durham College.
- The Darlington Nuclear refurb plan will create 2000 jobs.
- Oshawa is 1 of only 3 deep water ports on Lake Ontario! Hello industry growth!!
- Metrolinx bought the Knob Hill Farms site but the province is broke so more to follow on that later…much later…
- Del Monte opened its first Canadian facility in south Oshawa in 2014.
- Our population will balloon over 166,000 in the next 3 short years!
- The Midtown Mall was sold last year and is being overhauled to include a very famous restaurant that features food stations from around the world.
- The Jubilee Pavillion is undergoing renovations to include a year round restaurant.
- The new condo development at Adelaide and Simcoe is a 200 unit, adult/senior lifestyle building.
- The Hoilday Inn Express will be open in 2016.
- The 407 extension to Harmony Rd will be complete by Dec 19,2015; otherwise hefty fines get sanctioned against the construction company.
- Because of UOIT, Oshawa is known globally for it’s tech and science innovation — a quote “We are moving from Blue Collar to Blue Chip”
Visit www.oshawa.ca/business and view the amazing video
Thanks Noel for this information and remaining involved in our cities growth from an economic and real estate perspective. There is going to be so much demand for seniors residences in the coming years, so it’s nice to see that Oshawa is starting to act on a future need and not reacting.
RE/MAX JAZZ Inc. Brokerage
21 Drew Street, Oshawa Ont
(905) 728-1600 office or (905) 435-7355 direct (text)